Re: Compiling and installing third party gnome apps...

tis 2003-01-14 klockan 01.20 skrev Joergen Scheibengruber:

> > If you want to have GNOME installed into multiple prefixes, you should
> > be able to set the 'GNOME_PATH' environmental variable (it's a colon
> > separated list) to all of the paths where pieces of GNOME are
> > installed.  The downsides are that a few things don't obey this variable
> > (the panel menus being the most notable one).
>
> A fix for this would be to add this
> "<ItemDir>/usr/local/share/applications/</ItemDir>" line to
> /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info.

Yes I had this already and that makes the panel find the entries.

I added the GNOME_PATH=/usr:/usr/local and that made Nautilus find the
icon in /usr/local/share/pixmaps. The panel doesn't seem to find it.
So what is the sane behaviour? And what should a user have to do to make
gnome work with mulitple prefixes?

This is what I have found so far:
add a entry in
	<item>/usr/local/lib/bonobo/servers</item>
in /etc/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-config.xml

add the line
	xml:readonly:/usr/local/etc/gconf
in /etc/gconf/2/path

add the entry
	<ItemDir>/usr/local/share/applications/</ItemDir>
in /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
(as mentioned above... )
I also added the entry
<MergeDir>/usr/local/share/gnome/vfolders/</MergeDir> is this correct? I
guess it's to find information about the menu structure...

and then use GNOME_PATH=/usr:/usr/local

This seems to make things work quite OK, except for the fact that the
panel doesn't find the icons to use. Have I missed something or should I
file bugs?

If this is correct I think it should be added to the sysadmin guide,
making it easier to use multiple prefixes.

--
Mattias Eriksson <snaggen acc umu se>