Re: GPager in gnome-utils

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 23:15, Glynn Foster wrote:
> If someone really feels like writing code as an exercise, then please
> look at the current gnome-utils mess [aside from gsearchtool, that's
> ace] and maybe think about rewriting some of the old code there.

Hi Glynn,

I was thinking of looking at something like gcalctool (thinking of
improving my (fairly bad) hacking skills): although there's the GPL in a
COPYING file, the top of each source code file looks like this:

/*  $Header: /cvs/gnome/gcalctool/gcalctool/calctool.c,v 1.15 2002/12/24
19:48:46 richb Exp $
 *
 *  Copyright (c) 1987-2002, Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights
Reserved.
 *  Sun considers its source code as an unpublished, proprietary
 *  trade secret, and it is available only under strict license
 *  provisions.  This copyright notice is placed here only to protect
 *  Sun in the event the source is deemed a published work.
Dissassembly,
 *  decompilation, or other means of reducing the object code to human
 *  readable form is prohibited by the license agreement under which
 *  this code is provided to the user or company in possession of this
 *  copy.
 *
 *  RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND: Use, duplication, or disclosure by the
 *  Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
 *  (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software
 *  clause at DFARS 52.227-7013 and in similar clauses in the FAR and
 *  NASA FAR Supplement.
 */

Presumably this is out of date. If so, could someone (who can legally do
so) change it to be correct? "Dissassembly, decompilation, or other
means of reducing the object code to human readable form is prohibited"
is incompatible with GPL section 4 AFAICT.

--
Andrew <andrew sobala net>         ~~  IRC: aes @ irc.gnome.org
http://www.penguins-of-fire.co.uk  ~~  http://www.advogato.org/person/aes