Re: Sticky Notes

Hey Daniel,

On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 23:17, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:18:41AM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> > >However, trying to launch /usr/libexec/stickynotes_applet directly
> > >it exit quickly after having opened the orbit socket and exchanged
> > >a bit of informations. It quits with an exit(0) ...
> > >

> > You aren't meant to directly execute applets.  That is why they aren't
> > in /usr/bin anymore ...
>
>   Okay, how do you launch them ? I installed the RPM, the new applet
> did not appear in the panel list of applet. I  thinkm forbiding manual
> launch is an acceptable option only if the panel autodetects newly
> installed applets, which doesn't seems to be the case right now.
> One should not have to log-out/log-in to be able to lunch a newly
> installed applet, right ?

	Yeah, that did suck. I've just fixed it on HEAD by rechecking every 5
seconds.

	The arbitrary 5 seconds isn't as expensive as it sounds.
bonobo-activation caches the results for queries client side and resets
the cache when it detects something has changed. However, this doesn't
work exactly as you might expect because bonobo-activation-server only
checks for changes (and hence resets the client side cache) when it is
running a query or when a new client starts. So ... in order to force a
reset I found I had to run a dummy query after making a change to the
.server files e.g.

	acitvation-client -s 'iid == "blah"'

	So it still sucks a little bit - but I think in most cases users
wouldn't notice ... I'm sure Michael would welcome bonobo-activation
patches, though :-)

Good Luck,
Mark.