Re: D-Bus

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 12:41, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:44:50AM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > I couldn't find anything about this in the dbus mail list archives -
> > has the possibility of "merging" orbit/dcop/dbus been examined?
>
> I don't think that makes any sense technically (I don't even know what
> it would mean, in concrete terms). The things are fairly different.
>
> Just because you can label two things "IPC" doesn't mean they are
> really all that comparable or similar.

Hrm.  OK, phrased a bit differently, is it technically impossible for
CORBA + an extension to achieve what D-BUS does?  Or the same for DCOP?
>From what I read, it seems like the goal is to leave DCOP/CORBA
untouched completely, and implement a whole new layer; it seems just a
lot simpler to add the missing features/functionality to the existing
infrastructure.

As I said, I couldn't find discussion on the possibility of this in the
mbus/xdg list archives.  I did see on the list that activation is fairly
similar to generic message passing.  If there is a big technical block
to adding broadcast messages to ORBit/DCOP, is there anywhere I can read
up on the specific issues more so I can be more clued in?  (for once)