Re: Plurals and ngettext

Havoc Pennington wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 07:09:28PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

I just wrote a short piece of text on the problems of plurals:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/developer.html#plurals
As mentioned there, GNU gettext since version 0.10.38 includes a
function called ngettext for solving these problems with plurals. It
would be nice to be able to use that in future versions of GNOME, so
that we can get plurals right.

However, as this is a GNU extension, I'm unsure what the level of
support there is in other gettext implementations, so it looks like a
portability problem. Opinions?

Whoa, lots of bugs filed and people are making ngettext() changes, yet
as far as I see the portability problem has not been addressed at all.
We need a plan there before people start adding ngettext() calls.

Actually, yes, it was. You just aren't subscribed to the i18n list where this happened.

Havoc