Re: Nautilus/Medusa search index enhancements

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 20:42, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> WHAT?  Medusa isn't a search daemon anymore?  Then the whole idea I had
> crumbles to pieces!

	Did you consider the space implications of indexing a potentially
limitless 'net space' on a very finite local hard-disk - and the
scalability issues of having every single client re-indexing the whole
network and/or the security implications of the IPC necessary to do
intra-machine authentication / index querying ? and the scale of the
work to make that happen ?

	I suspect that the (sensible) limitation of making this per-user, in
order to get _something_ that works nicely, soon, out there is likely to
result in a working deployed tool that can be used by real users for a
very useful sub-set of your big vision. It's better to build on
something that works, and is deployed rather than going on indefinately
having grand architectural pipe-dreams.

	FWIW,

		Michael.