Re: HIG patch for the log out dialog

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 05:44, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Iain,
>
> On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 03:36, iain wrote:
> > Here's a patch that makes the log out dialog more HIG compliant.
> > Has gnome-session been branched yet, or will I file a bug report and
> > wait?
>
> 	The patch looks good to commit ... well, apart from indenting using a
> label ... but there's not much you can do about that, unfortunately :/

I think there are some questions to solve before next release :-)

What is this window exactly? Is it a dialog or an alert? And is it a
confirmation or question alert?.

>From HIG:
    Alerts: "... provides information about the state of the application
    system, or asks for essential information about how to proceed with
    a particular task. [...] is not directly requested by the user ..."

    Dialogs: " provides an exchange of information, or dialog, between
    the user and the application. Use a dialog box to obtain additional
    information from the user that is needed to carry out a particular
    command or task"

IMHO I think it's both: logout/halt/reboot toggles are essential infos,
while save_session is additional one. Beside, while as a dialog it ask
for infos, it should alerts user: "Caution: all unsaved documents will
be lost!".

So I think it could be designed as:

dialog+

      +-> vbox+
      |       |
      |       +-> Heading (<big>You are ending session</big>)
      |       |
      |       +-> Action chooser (logout/halt/reboot)
      |       |
      |       +-> Additional info (save_session)

      +-> hbuttons+

                  +-> "Cancel"

                  +-> "End Session"

I attach a glade mochup using dialog and/or alert style. Actually I've
no time to make the code, but it should be simple.

BTW: a matching gdm window with "Start Session" button could be cool.
See glade ;-)

--
L'ironia di questa mail è a cura di "Microsoft Allegria".

È vietato citare verbalmente e quotare ogni frase ritenuta divertente.