notification process [was Re: gnome-terminal awfully slow]

Martin asks:

> Short question (i don't want to make this thread much longer):

yeah, I'm tired of this thread too :-)

> Bill, if Havoc had send an eMail with "Maintainer decision: switch zvt->vte" as
> subject to the d-d-l, would have been enought for you?

Yeah, if it had noted that the change was a compile-time change and not
a runtime option.

I think all dependency changes and similar should have such a "we've
just taken a fork in the road" notification (in addition to the run-up
discussion).

> In this way we all would see a non buried mail that just states the decision.
> This could be something very good. But only if people respect such a
> decision ;-)

Yeah, the current thread was intended to be about notification and
process, not rehashing the decision itself.

> We can't expect the maintainers to repeat themselves over and over
> again.
>
> Martin H.

But sri says:

> Ack, too much paperwork.  The proper way is to create a bug in bugzilla
> that says "fix vte accessability" and put that as a showstopper or
> something.  Lets not create more paperwork than we have to.  We have a way
> to track things and we should use that.

This doesn't work since we don't have the explicit concept of
'showstoppers' in GNOME; and besides, probably most people would not
accept accessibility issues as stoppers at this time.  I think that's a
shame, and I hope it changes once we've established an a11y user base.

There were bugs filed (and closed) against vte, the problem was that we
couldn't fully confirm the fixes and the closures were therefore
premature.  That said, we appreciate the fact that Nalin was listening
to our concerns, thanks Nalin.

-Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>