Re: 2.3 Feature Request: Inactive toolbar icons

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 11:34, Christopher James Lahey wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 11:12, shaihulud supereva it wrote:
> > Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> > >We're mostly looking for "yes, I am coding >this feature" emails, rather than
> > >suggestions. Sorry. :-) You may want to >lodge a GTK+ bug on this, though -
> > >it would be much prettier!
> >
> > >- Jeff
> >
> > Thanks iain for make the patch ! Here is a screenshot:
> > http://discomachinegun.prettypeople.org/~iain/insensitive.png
> >
> > I think that would be better if the alpha  is scaled down at 75-80%. In this way the inactive icons look better on a light or dark background.

<snip/>

> I personally don't mind the checks, but if consensus is that they're
> ugly, then I agree that we should look for a way to make the toolbars
> look better, but we shouldn't do this as the expense of usability.

What about drawing them in gray-scale?  Or as some kind of "embossed"
effect?  That not only would look quite spectacular, but should look
distinctly different than a normal icon, as well.  Assuming it can be
done right with smaller icons, of course.  Gray-scale probably wouldn't
work for gray icons, either.  The GTK theme could have the ability to
specify "draw inactive icons in this shade", or the engine could provide
a means of specially altering the icons (so different themes have
different effects - what is good for a high-color theme doesn't work for
something like high-contrast).