Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
> Subject: Re: 2.3 Proposed Features
>
> I don't believe that. libgnomeui can be realistically deprecated by
> GTK 2.6. Once we do menu/toolbar API, the remainder of libgnomeui
> worth caring about is trivial to move (icon themes, session
> management, and some way to display help). I have a plan for kicking
> gconf below the GTK level, and even failing that we have a way to

This is really exciting :) So this means I won't have to miss out on 80%
of gnome since I want my apps to be _really_ portable (for example to
win32 and framabuffer)?

> It's really very simple; this stuff has to work on win32 and in theory
> Mac as well.  So there's an abstraction of it with various
> implementations, and platform-specific stuff can be plugged in.

Lets not forget directfb here. Which BTW has no GtkPlug/GtkSocket, and
both of these contain X internals, so libbonoboui will need some hacking
too...

> Such as what? There's really nothing left GNOME-specific after a few
> simple changes. gnome-vfs is really the only thing. GConf, SM, and

And even that works quite well on the framebuffer :)

Just one thing - you're pushing a lot of dependencies into GTK+ - libxml2
ORBit2 et all... is this a good thing/something the other GTK+ developers
will agree to?

Kind regards,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout