Re: 2.4 features to consider

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:29:10AM -0500, Ettore wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 09:13, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 04:16:47AM -0500, Ettore wrote:
> > > Maybe there should be some kind of clipboard manager object that follows
> > > keyboard focus, updates the menu/toolbar items properly and routes the
> > > cut & paste requests to the right widgets automatically.  I haven't put
> > > much thought into it but it's something that could make apps much easier
> > > to code.
> > >
> > > BTW, likewise, some kind of Undo API would be nice too.
> >
> > These are the sorts of thing that I'd like to pull out of gnumeric
> > and move down into a libgnomeoffice.
>
> Hmm doesn't the "one API to rule them all" rule apply there?  :-)
>
> Seriously, shouldn't this stuff go into GTK instead?  It makes sense,
> especially given that all the stock widgets are supposed to integrate
> nicely with this stuff.

Sure.  Ideally lots of things would be further down the stack.  Lots
of stock widgets, a shared plugin architecture, an undo/redo
framework (transaction logs would be nice).  My rationale for
stuffing a few things into a gnomeoffice lib is that it may get more
use than in libegg, and to get an implementation.  However, I'm not
tied to that in anyway.