Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

On Tuesday 16 Dec 2003 10:34 pm, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Fundamental widgets are a window, a button, a label, widgets that
> *every* application uses. That's what Gtk+ is supposed to provide. A
> media player widget is important in certain (corner?) cases, but nothing
> close to fundamental.

I would argue that it *could* be fundamental, if available.  It's a bit like
databound controls.  Most apps don't *need* 'em, but many apps would use them
readily, if available and simple enough to use.

I'd like to be able embed video players in my mergeant database as easily as
text or dates.  I'd like to be able to embed video players in my 3d renderer,
or my video editing app, or my slideshow app, educational stuff, comic strip
renderer, earthquake simulator, chinese character morphology, geneology, etc.
Moreover, I'd like to be able to do easily embed streaming video from the net
with the minimum of hassle -- just embed the object, supply a URL, and play.

It's just the implementation proposed here that I have issues with.  Gstreamer
has my vote.

--
Lee.