Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 20:36, Ryan Gammon wrote:
> Ronald Bultje wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 20:36, Ryan Gammon wrote:
> >

> >>1. Gtk has a documentation page with a gtk-prefixed interface for a
> >>basic video widget, and a list of links to engines that implement that
> >>interface, and maybe a "which engine is right for me" document.
> >>

> >But that doesn't need Gtk. What you're looking for is a widget lookup
> >page. That doesn't need integrating in the core desktop toolkit. ;).
> >

> The question here is not one of needing something from gtk so much as
> making something easier in gtk.

<snip interesting points, but I'm going to cut that short>

I'm going to be blunt. The GtkHxPlayer isn't in GTK+. It won't be in
GTK+ (or GNOME or any higher level library) unless the license is
compatible with the LGPL. Until the licensing problem are fixed, this
kind of discussion is pointless.

Cheers

(And I really wouldn't like to see *all* my applications linked to a
media framework (like you're proposing), or even to some OpenGL library
(like Qt/KDE does) that I'm not using).
---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Know your limitations and be content with them. Too much ambition
results in promotion to a job you can't do.