Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: You are missing the point

I forgot to answer to this one, and feel it is needed.

Le jeu 11/12/2003 à 00:01, Eugenia Loli-Queru a écrit :
> My point on the article was that I am looking for an IM app that can
> interoperated with Windows IM solutions in the video area as well as in the
> text chat area. My suggestion was that if this can come true by using your

GnomeMeeting is interacting with all H.323 software avaible for Windows,
Netmeeting is not the only one. You have CU-SeeMe too for example.

> engine inside another app (e.g. Gaim), I am all for it. But if you can
> integrate GM into Gaim (or the other way around), even better. That was my
> point, even if it might not have come out very clear. There was no "FUD"
> going on, you seem to over-analyze some things.

No, I just reacted to 2 things :
- Your statement mentionning that I said GnomeMeeting was mainly a
PC-To-Phone application, that's wrong.
- Your confusion about the differences between an Instant Messenger
able to do video and an application like GnomeMeeting

> My article was simply a wish list. As a PC user I have simple wishes or
> needs, but VoIP is not one of them. However, video chatting with my brother
> in Greece, whom I love dearly and I don't get the chance to see him much, is
> what I need. Most Greeks don't have the money to buy Macs (too expensive

Then you need VoIP, VoIP just means "Voice Over IP", not more, not less.
But the area of application is going far beyong simple videochatting,
that's what we are trying to cover with GnomeMeeting.

> over there) and so iChat and iSight are out of the question (plus it
> requires stupid amounts of bandwidth that the greek
> "high-speed-only-in-name" Internet simply can't serve well). He uses MSN
> Messenger with a $30 USB camera in an old K6 laptop I gave him last year,
> still running Win98SE (Linux w/ Gnome2 would be too slow on that machine,
> plus he doesn't have a clue how to use Linux). Most people are still on
> Windows with Win98 or ME. As Gnome is a desktop system, I need
> interoperation with these system. GM might be great for VoIP, but in my case
> (and I guess for a lot of other people who live abroad and are far away from
> friends and family), it is mostly useless.

Funny, most GnomeMeeting users are using it for staying in contact with
family, but if you tell it is useless...

> Please note, I am not trying to slap your project or any other project
> (well, maybe just Glade which I really don't like ;-). GM *is* one of the
> best X applications out there, I was clear about this on my first review of
> GM last week. GM is really well done, and congratulations for this. But
> speaking personally, as a Gnome user, it just doesn't do what I need it to
> do. It does well other things (e.g. VoIP, Linux user video chatting), but

Linux user video chatting???
H.323 is not limited to Linux !