RE: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

Lucian Gabor wrote:
> Ain't nobody interested in maintaining the possibility to
> hide applications from the context menu

If an application does not register itself as being able to open the file
type, then you won't see it. I can't imagine why a user would need to keep
an application off the context menu. But he could still do it by changing
the associations as Jonathan's document suggests.

> or in maintaining the
> possibility to use a different default application to open a
> specific file?

Again, see "Change Default Application for a MIME-type" in Jonathan's
document.

> Also what about the possibility to easily
> change the default viewer for all image files or for all video files?

I guess that would mean setting the default application for a group of MIME
types all at once, where the application says that it can open that MIME
type. I guess that might be useful. It would not need to be in the same UI.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net