Re: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 06:04:08PM +0000, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > >   Unfortunately Mime-Type is clearly inadequate now for specifying
> > > the default processing of a resource in the face of XML usage.
> > > One way is to try to detect namespaces in the document first kbyte
> > > or so, grepping for common strings might be sufficient. But it is
> > > outside purely Mime-Type handling...
> >
> > Maybe time to develop a universal viewer/preview for any file?  IE:
> > anything image-like shows up in an eog window, anything text like shows
> > up in a text edit window, anything binary or unknown displays
> > information about that file and suggestions on which apps might be right
> > to view it.
>
> Hi
>
> I'm not sure I understand the relation between the problem (it's hard to
> determine the correct MIME-Type of XML files) and the solution (let's
> have a universal viewers for all MIME-Types).

.From the original couple of posts I got the impression that the problem
was determining how to deal with foo brand XML file, and my thought was
that if you know it's an XML file (which will be text AFAIK) and if you
can't determine the subtype then open it in a generic viewer.  My
thinking then went to why not have a universal viewer to deal with *all*
unknown non-binary files.

Of course, it's early enough in the morning I am probably just
completely confused and need more caffiene, so just ignore me :D

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain