Re: Neccessity of panel names in add-to-panel? (was Re: Say goodbye to those ugly ass add-to-panel submenu blues)

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:05, Dominic Howells wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 17:19, Danilo Segan wrote:

> > >From the technical viewpoint, it's not hard to define what's a
> > bottom, top, left, right, or floating panel (because we have a
> > unified panel type since 2.3): if it's horizontal, it is top if it's
> > attached to top screen edge, bottom if it's attached to bottom screen
> > edge, and otherwise floating. Similarly for vertical panels.
>
> I've got an idea: How about if we show a dialouge with a reduced-size
> view of the panels and have the user click on one to which the item is
> going to be added. You know the `workspace switcher' which shows little
> outlines of visible windows? We could do the same for panels and just
> have a language-less click interface which 1/ avoids translation issues
> 2/ makes it more obvious which panel is being talked about.

How easy/sane would it be to make this keyboard navigable?  And what
about users who can't see, and need some kind of speech/braille/etc
interface to tell them what panel we're talking about?  I imagine that's
where the name idea came from to begin with -  some users can't just use
a "language-less click interface."

> Dom.
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.