Re: KDE and Gnome

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 08:17, Taj Morton wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> Yes, I know you are tired of everyone complaining about how KDE and
> Gnome don't work together very well. However, I have come to plea for
> that very thing.
> If Linux is *ever* to get to the desktop, KDE and Gnome apps *must* be
> able to work with each other.
> This means that drag-and-drop should work between Nautilus and KEdit.
> This also means that I should be able to have Wanda down on my KDE
> system tray and the KPrinter manager on my Gnome system tray. It would
> also be nice if Gaim didn't need two different sets of code to put it's
> little icon down there...
[..remainder snipped...]

Most of the real cross-platform issues you mention are already being
discussed (or have in the past) on xdg-list freedesktop org (have a look
at http://www.freedesktop.org for subscription info). You may want to
read some of the archives there.

The other stuff are just old arguments for merging the desktops (you say
you don't want to kill either project, but they should just write one
word processor? Be serious). That is not going to happen; there are
different philosphies as well as different technologies in the two
projects (and the other projects, like XFCE, Rox, CDE, Microsoft
Windows, Rhapsody, ...).

Malcolm