gnome-terminal and some character codings

Hi,

 characters like "é", "ü", "ã" or "ç" aren't displayed in
gnome-terminal. However, after clicking Terminal->Character Coding->Unicode they are displayed. Is there any way to make this the default (set the default encoding to UTF-8)? I tried to edit the profile but there's nothing regarding this. When i execute gnome-terminal like
# LC_ALL=pt_PT gnome-terminal --disable-factory
i get those characters displayed, but i don't want to use a different charset, i'm fine with the default. I just want to be able to display
those characters.

 Thanks for your time, Joao