Re: run dialog vs gnome_vfs_url_show

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 13:59, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> ???CL[2A(???x
> > On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 11:19, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > > Now we just need to set up http+https to use epi by default.
> >
> > So, setting epiphany as the default handler for the http: scheme
> > requires adding a few new keys to the desktop_gnome_url_handlers.schemas
> > file, and this file is translated. Doing this means a string change, and
> > we're frozen. This string isn't really visible except in gconf-editor,
> > but its still a string change.
> >
> > What do we do about this?
>
> I think we should really do that, even if those strings are not
> translated (they are only schema strings), otherwise, clicking on
> http:// links will fail by default in a lot of programs (evolution comes
> to mind)

They shouldn't *fail* per se. If there is no http handler gnome-vfs will
do a "stat" on the uri to get the mimetype of the document. If its then
a html page it will launch epi, since that handles html pages by
default. However, there are various problems with gnome-vfs doing
synchronous i/o in this way. Plus, i think it makes sense to open images
on http in epi, and not an image viewer.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a Nobel prize-winning albino farmboy on a search for his missing sister.
She's a wealthy tomboy politician with an MBA from Harvard. They fight crime!