Re: Experimental patches to let magicdev control locking of CD-ROM

hi,

I hate to nag about feature requests...

But the issue of friendly usage of cdrom and floppy is a real problem
in the Gnome desktop.

I've been using Redhat and magicdev for years, but it still isn't as
simple as MSWindows. Maybe other linux distributions or BSD has got this right.

Basically we need a way to transparently access and cd or disk without
the user needing to know about mount and unmount.
It needs to be accessible to the file selecter, and nautilus also.

I think all the various pieces of the puzzle have been ready for years,
but they have never been well integrated.

Maybe we could aim for this for Gnome 2.6?

In my own "evangelism" of linux, the issue of floppy usage is the last
major hurdle that stops me recommending linux to computer novices.

Given that so many other parts of the desktop are surpassing MS Windows,
it would be excellent to get this issue resolved in a 100% (not 99%)
polished way.

thanks,
wayne