Re: GNOME ABI review

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 13:39, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> Havoc Pennington writes:
> >
> > Adding widgets is not the way to approach this in general, as you
> > can't add a new widget without deprecating the old widget.
> >

> Well in this specific case, the proposal was to extend an existing api with
> a new property and a convenience constructor. I don't think the old gtkframe
> should be deprecated by any means.
>
> In regards to just fixing this in glade, I think there are more than a few
> programs the don't want to build up alot dependencies other than gtk and
> just won't use glade (for whatever reasons). Not having an quick and easy to
> implement hig style frames in gtk just discourages these developers from
> following the HIG and creates inconsistencies. But I guess I should have
> brought this up when I had time to actually do some work on this :/

libglade just has GTK+ and libxml as dependencies, and libxml is
pretty darn portable. We shouldn't worry about making things easy
on people who are trying hard to make things hard for themselves.

Long term, though, I think adding libglade-like functionality into GTK+
would make a lot of sense; there's various benefits you'd get from
that and it's not all that much code. (~5000 lines)

Regards,
						Owen