RE: GNOME ABI review

> From: Mark McLoughlin [mailto:mark skynet ie]
> 	On the other hand, if there is a general unspoken
> consensus that Bonobo
> isn't something we want to pursue into the future and that it isn't
> something we want external developers to be using, we need to
> make that
> explicit. The way forward is not to avoid the issue and go around
> stripping the Bonobo dependency from our APIs.

If we succeed in deprecating BonoboUI stuff in favour of GTK+ 2.4 API
additions, then I think it's OK to say "And there's this Bonobo stuff that
you can use if you like. It's good for doing these specific things...".
Specifically, I see no alternative for binary-interoperabl embeddable
widgets, but not many people want to do that and those that do want to are
probably resigned to the difficulties.

We just need to avoid getting religious about the latest trendy technology
(Bonobo, Mono, flares) throughout. That does not mean that we need to
getting religious about not using them either. A little choice is OK.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com