RE: GNOME ABI review

> From: Havoc Pennington [mailto:hp redhat com]
> > > GTK should simply be made HIG-ready. The easiest way is
> convenience
> > > constructors, e.g. there's one in bugzilla for the alert
> windows with
> > > primary/secondary text.
> >
> > And yet the gtkbug about implementing a HIG frame widget
> was marked invalid
> > or notabug and owen on the gtk-devel list expressed little
> interest in
> > adding an actual widget to gtk. see
> >
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-> list/2003-July/msg00137.html
> >

> Because there are better/existing ways to do that in people's
> opinion. If you don't agree then argue the specific point.
>
> Adding widgets is not the way to approach this in general, as you
> can't add a new widget without deprecating the old widget.

In this case, I think it was a question of adding a convenience constructor
or function to make it slightly easier to be HIG-compliant. Personally I
don't think it's a big deal, because all this stuff should be done in Glade
anyway, and we should fix Glade to make HIG-compliance easier.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com