Re: ANNOUNCE: GNOME Speech API (GSAPI) - v0.6.0

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:17:27AM -0700, Rich Burridge wrote:
> As you know, GNOME currently uses a CORBA-based approach (Bonobo/ORBit2),
> which relies on stub/skels definitions in IDL. To do an implementation
> for this, I don't believe I can define this API purely at the C level
> (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I would distinguish between your underlying IPC mechanism, and the
API, I guess.

> Are you suggesting we should not try to do a Bonobo/ORBit2 implementation
> to show proof-of-concept, but use something else (DBUS for example)?

No, I'm not suggesting that. If you need IPC, then ORBit is the way to
go for that at the moment.

However, I'd have an API other than the raw IPC calls, just for ease
of use.

> Whatever approach we pick will take quite a lot of effort, so picking the
> right horse to back now would be far better than trying to change horses
> in mid-steam.

This is why we need to be pressing forward with freedesktop.org and
other efforts to pin down a horse that really addresses the full scope
of the open source desktop. Right now we have a number of important
horses that can't be pinned down, including IPC, the VFS, applets,
MIME types, menu system, and so forth.

Not asking you to solve the problem, but it is an unfortunate fact of
life at the moment.

Havoc