Re: [gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

> A Ter, 2003-04-22 ās 16:07, Bill Haneman escreveu:
> > On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:47, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> > >    IMHO, no video player should be included which doesn't have the
> > > capability to display subtitles.  Subtitles is just one of those
> > > fundamental requirements, especially for non-english speaking people,
> > > and perhaps it is important for accessibility reasons as well.
> >
> > It's very important - in fact, essential - for accessibility.
> >
> > Not all media formats support captioning/descriptive audio, etc., but
> > certainly the "GNOME media player" should be able to handle those that
> > do.
> >
> > The ideal "big picture" solution probably involves SMIL, but that's a
> > bigger project.  In the meantime we certainly should try to do our best
> > with DVD captions/subtitles and with *.sub files where such content is
> > available.
> >
> > What is the current gst-player/gst and totem roadmap for subtitling and
> > captions?
>
>   I started doing this myself, since noone else seems to be interested
> anytime soon.  I already sent a pango-ft2 based text renderer plugin to
> gstreamer-devel, and I will try to proceed with subtitle parsing,
> displaying, etc.
>
>   It seems that some developers (fortunately few) get angry at users
> when they are told a feature is badly missing, so I have no choice but
> to do some code, or shut up.

I hope you're speaking in general here :) I don't think anyone from
GStreamer told you to "shut up" (just stating it to make that clear),
because I am very happy you started on this.  In fact, it was in my top 3
of gstreamer TODO's.

>  I really hate this attitude, I must say.

The attitude is indeed bad :) The root cause is however unavoidable.
We're all still free time hackers (speaking for GStreamer).  So while we
may not react that way (ie, saying "shut up"), the net result might be the
same.

> I, as developer, would love to hear users complain about missing
> features, so I can prioritize my development time according to users'
> needs, thus improving the usefulness of the software.

Yep, that's the ideal.  We don't get that many feature requests however.

Thomas

- You first.  How did you lose your virginity ?
- I had sex.  You ?
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->