Re: at-spi versioning

 --- Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> wrote: >
> > Forcing soname numbers to make them artificially match some external
> > expectation of what they should be is almost always wrong.
> >
> > Going backwards on soname versions is *alway* wrong.
> >
> > If you released tarballs of ati-spi that had a major of 1, and have
> > since broken binary compatibility, you _must_ use a major of at
> > least 2 now.
>
> We didn't break bincompat, but somehow a .so.1 got released *and*
> bundled with RH8.0.

Erm - from the POV of RH8.0 and in fact anybody trying to run binaries compiled
elsewhere on RH8.0, there is in fact a bin-compat break. Dependning on what went
into RH 9.0 there might be a bincompat ( a rather odd one, at that) break between
the two aswell.

I'm not 100% sure how to best fix it, but going to so.2 might be the way.
Ultimately at-spi is still a esktop library, I believe so there are no
bincompat guarantees to be broken, except for inbetween the various point
releases in a stable branch.

> - Bill

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience