Re: Proposed CVS changes to gnome-utils

Christian Neumair wrote the following on Tuesday, 15 April 2003:

> Hi there!
> When taking a look at the CVS module gnome-utils (HEAD) I found that
> it's stucture is a bit messy.
> Here is my proposal to prettify that module:
> Move these directories' contents, delete old dirs
>    gcalc => calculator (maybe dropped in favour of gcalctool)
>    gcharmap => character-map (maybe dropped in favour of gucharmap)
>    gdictsrc => dictionary
>    gsearchtool => search-tool
>    logview => system-log
> These names are taken from each tool's binary name where the prefix
> "gnome-" has been dropped. This helps even beginners extremely to keep
> track of the tools included in this package.

While I agree that the naming conventions are somewhat confusing, and that
newcomers to the CVS quagmire can get hopelessly lost, from a documentation
perspective I do not think we should change these names now. Reasoning:

- The documentation team have given locations under the current naming
conventions to other interested parties, such as localization teams, who are
less familiar with the whereabouts of things in CVS. Changing the names of the
utilities directories could cause more confusion than it resolves.

- The very fact that other products are coming along with similar functionality
means that we should have a certain amount of individuality in the directory
naming conventions. For example, if we rename gcalc to calculator, what do we do
with gcalctool? Again, this could cause more confusion than it resolves.

My vote is to maintain the status quo.

Pat