Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:07:41PM +0200, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> Not at all, this doesn't make any sense for me. Say I enter
> application then it makes a lot of sense to get a query analyzer where i can
> make quick changes in the database or selects and get them output as Webpage
> or Textfile rather than diving into subdirs.

  I tend to disagree, the scheme part of an URL is really about
specifying a protocol. I know this is been abused and abused but
an URI point to a resource, the scheme is the protocol used to retrieve
this resource. What you're describing is not an URL (nor an URI), i.e.
this is not an identifier for a resource on the Web.
  If you were pointing to the result of a SELECT operation in a given
database then maybe that could be considered a resource, but what
you are describing is the fact that you want to open a connection to
an SQL server, this is not a resource in the sense of the Architecture
or the Web [1]. You may have found an easy way to name this but this object
is not an URL.
  Call me pedantic, but by confusing resources and the mechanism used
to obtain such resource, I'm afraid it's very very hard to build stable
APIs with an universal meaning. Semantic is important when designing
software blocks.

Daniel

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecture.html