Re: Question about gtk/metacity

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 14:59, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Havoc Pennington">
>
> > I don't actually understand why you need to do this - I mean, either the
> > window has a frame or it doesn't. Having it only when focused is just
> > strange.
>
> Most sticky notes apps do this, rather than having normal window frames by
> default (looks yuckier than you'd think) or handling all of this on their
> own (think XMMS).

VERY yucky. Handling all the window management on my own involves a lot
of accessibility work, and is discouraged anyway. I spent quite a while
trying many workaraounds. The simplest was a timeout function that
checks every second if a note is focused, and if so, decorates it,
otherwise, undecorate it. The 1 second time delay will cause the
"focus-bouncing-during-decoration" to be ignored. But for some reason,
after a few seconds, the callbacks i had connected to focus-in and
focus-out events, stop getting called!

Anyway. Shall I just assume focus-based-window-decorations are just
*impossible*. Cause that would be a pity. :-(

Cheers,
Loban

|   Loban Amaan Rahman  <-- anagram of -->  Aha! An Abnormal Man!   |
| loban earthling net, loban caltech edu,  http://loban.caltech.edu |