Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

sön 2002-09-29 klockan 22.22 skrev Jeff Waugh:
> > Mikael Hallendal <micke codefactory se> writes:
> >> Maybe this has already been raised (haven't payed to much attention to
> >> the thread to be honest, I personally don't see this as a great
> >> improvement over having a good list/ftp structure that makes it very
> >> clear which versions are included in a certain release).
> >
> > That's an interesting question - with the new ftp structure do we need
> > the strict version rules?
>
> I don't believe so, but others may see it differently.
>
> From my perspective, every module's versioning is self-consistent, so if you
> go into sources/MODULE/, you'll see a bunch of major.minor directories that
> make sense for that module. It does impose a small "please don't change
> major/minor versions willy nilly" problem, because we don't want to have
> lots of confusing directories there.
>
> The release category directories define what is in each snapshot/release,
> and it doesn't really matter what version numbers the modules have. But,
> this is the same position we were in before.
>
> So, I don't think the layout of the ftp site has a huge amount to do with
> defining understandable, user-oriented version numbers.

What I meant was that if you had something like:

pub/source/gnome/2.0.3/yelp-1.0.2.tar.gz you would know that yelp-1.0.2
is the version to get for 2.0.3.

A user that runs a binary dist doesn't really care which version numbers
the different packages has anyway. From what I understood from Frederic
the version numbers where more for package maintainers so that they
didn't get confused but I might be mistaken.

Since far from all packages will be included in this scheme anyway I'm
not sure how much help it'll be. And for example for Yelp it doesn't
really make sense to bump the version from 1.X to 2.2 without any
changes (does it?)

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/