Creating non-"default" keyboard shortcuts

Howdy,

NOTE: if this is _not_ the correct list to post this question to, I
apologise -- just point me to the right list and I'll post it there.

I'm a long-time GNOME user and have been very pleased with its progress
over the years.  I've now installed the new Mandrake 9.0 release to give
2.0 a spin and I have a question regarding keyboard shortcuts.

Is there any way to assign key bindings or "shortcuts" that aren't in
the "GNOME default" list?  I've got a few that I just can't live without
so I'm presuming that users aren't locked in the select few actions
listed as default.

I've read the GNOME user manual and there isn't anything regarding this
in chapter nine:

http://gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.0/goscustdesk-39.html

But if anyone on the list knows if this is or is not possible, I'd
really like to know.

Thanks in advance,

Don