Re: Gnome 2.2 suggestions

<quote who="Craig Williamson (ENZ)">

> Is it possible for you guys to develop/hack a commercial non-GPL based API
> that can work with the Gnome libraries.  I know this is totally against
> your philosophies, but it could be good to use in the future to entice
> commercial developers to come to Linux (Adobe, Macromedia, etc).  What are
> your ideas on this.  Maybe the Ximian or RedHat gods (I worship thee)
> could look at this one.  It could be a good way to earn a bit of extra
> money and manna for you.

The GNOME Developer Platform is LGPL'ed. Proprietary software vendors can
(and do) write proprietary software on top of both GTK+ and GNOME. As
opposed to Qt, they can do it without purchasing licenses. That doesn't mean
that *every* proprietary software vendor will leap out of their skin to do
it, but they can.

> Secondly, a good package installer for Gnome.  GnoRPM is alright for
> some users but for newbies it would be good to have an easy to use installer
> for the nervy first time user.  This is also a problem with KDE that they
> haven't addressed.

This is generally regarded as a distribution issue. Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake,
Debian, etc., all have nice GUI package management software.

- Jeff

--
       o/~ In spite of all those keystrokes, you're addicted to vim.
                              *ka-ching!* o/~