Re: "show desktop button" applet

Mark McLoughlin <mark skynet ie> writes:
> 	Hmmmm. I'm just in the middle of doing something very similar.
>
> 	There's already a "Show Desktop" button in the Actions menu

I see metacity misled you into _NET_SHOW_DESKTOP - it's
_NET_SHOWING_DESKTOP. metacity was screwed up, I fixed it just now.

> and a bug (#84740 - lots of dialog about being able to edit the
> actions menu in that bug too) to provide a button like the lock and
> logout buttons for everything else in the actions menu..

Should all the buttons just be launchers (we could make desktop files
for them)?

The "Show desktop" button is a toggle and behaves a bit differently
from a launcher. If there's a "Show desktop" menu item you might
expect its button form to be like that of other buttons (one-way
rather than toggle), for consistency, but for it to actually be useful
I think it needs to be the toggle.

Let me know if you need my applet or what the plan is.

> 	But, "Show Desktop" seems to have changed since I first made
> that button. Its now a toggle between "Desktop Showing" and "Desktop
> Not Showing". When did that change from _NET_SHOW_DESKTOP ?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Havoc