Re: gconf string breakage

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 15:11, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Christian Rose <menthos menthos com> writes:
> > I'm a bit confused ...
>
> It's branched; use the gconf-1-2 branch which should have no string
> changes. Sorry for not sending out mail.

	It seems fairly generally agreed that 'module_name-N-Y' branches are
rather confusing for mere mortals ;-) [ indeed, I had no idea that
gconf-1.2 was the Gnome 2.0 version, much as I'd suspect people wouldn't
know that ORBit2-2.4.X was the 2.0 version ].

	So - it'd be really great if we could expand the habit of 'gnome-N-Y'
versioning to as many modules as possible, even if they're peripheral.
It seems, that the freeze / release cycle of gconf is inextricably
intertwined with Gnome - at least the 1.2 release (?) - is there a good
reason for not using gnome-2-0 as libIDL, linc, ORBit2 etc. do ?

	Regards,

		Michael.