Re: launch feedback status update

Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> writes:

> There isn't much to figure out. xalf already does it. It just does it
> with evil preload hacks, instead of patching X. A patch to X would
> just merge a cleaned-up version of xalf into the actual code, so that
> the preload wouldn't be needed anymore. Once the bugs are ironed out
> of xalf, it works quite well. In fact, there are only two real issues
> left now, and they have to do with su-type programs, and things which
> screw with LD_PRELOAD in a wrapper shell script, which just iterates
> the evilness of preloading. Though, if we could get an X patch, and
> RH/YDL/etc... provided it in their packages for now, it wouldn't be
> hard to get it into the actual X tree, and have nice launch feedback.
> Presumably, you could also do something at the toolkit level, like
> KDE does, to provide nice icons (1-bit alpha png icons, and animations),
> instead of the default X cursors. But then again, it would also be
> nice to be able to just override the default ugly X cursors with nice
> ones anyway. :)

OK, to avoid duplicating myself, please see my opinions on patching
Xlib in:

 https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2000-November/000015.html

(And Jim Gettys's follow up to that if you need verification that
I wasn't spouting nonsense.)

I'd consider it *highly* unlikely to happen. Lets forget about it.

Regards,
                                        Owen