Re: GEP-2 (metathemer)

Jeff said:

> <quote who="Michael Meeks">
>
> > 	I don't quite see why it's asking for bad usability to allow themes to
> > change arbitrary settings; why is that ? perhaps have some method for
> > only allowing settings that are publicly / tweakable by control-center
> > to be changed - good taste would rather dictate that anyway.
>
> As would security.
>
>   <somedude> Oh no! My desktop has gone pearshaped after installing the
>     HaHaHaAtSexyFun theme!
>   <h4x0r> I 4m t4 31337 th3m3x0r hax0r!! b0w to my 4uth0r1ty!!!
>   <boc> Burrito: pokey
>
> I live in fear. ;-)

Yes,

This has come up already, and one proposal was to limit the "extended"
gconf keys that could be tweaked to those in a particular directory, for
instance /desktop/theme  or something, rather than giving a
theme-changer free reign to muck with /apps, etc.  This would require
some Metatheme-awareness on the part of GNOME applications, or at least
dictate that look-and-feel keys that were intended to be "themeable"
respect such a convention.

Of course the keys already "well known" to the Desktop Theme Set thingy
could include those outside of such a directory, but we still would need
extensibility to at least a limited part of the gconf 'tree'.