Re: omf files that dont validate

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:55:02AM +0100, mike wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 04:33, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:17:50AM +0100, mike wrote:
> > > Does anyone know whether there are any alternate dtds that take account
> > > of omf files that do not validate such as glade or evolution
> >
> > What do you mean by "take account of"?
> >
> > There should only be one DTD for the OMF files we use. If an XML file
> > does not validate against that it is not an OMF file, so I am a bit
> > worried by the possibility of multiple DTDs.
>
> I understand this but what do we do about apps (mainly 1.4 but some 2.x
> apps like gnomedb and glade) which do not validate. This is the error
> output from scrollkeeper-update -p

We fix them; they are broken. I thought I had already filed bugs against
gnomedb and glade, but looking for them now, I cannot find them -- so I
must have been hallucinating.

The decision has been made that scrollkeeper will validate OMF files
before including the document, so the files must validate.

Now, I can sympathise with an argument that says the current DTD is a
little inflexible in that it requires the fields to be in a particular
order. Since the data in an OMF file is really just a bag of items, we
should probably allow the tags in any order and that's a backwards
compatible change to the DTD that ships with scrollkeeper. File a bug
against scrollkeeper (at sourceforge) to get remind me to look at that
if you like.

I do not know if gnomedb and glade are just suffering from that problem
(tag ordering), but it may be that simple -- in which case it's a bit
time-consuming to debug, because you go cross-eyed, but it's not too
hard.

Evolution has at least one encoding problem (the evolution-no.omf
file is not valid UTF-8 according to the output you posted) and that is
clearly a bug. I don't know what is wrong with the 'C' version of it's
OMF file, but I have only looked at your output below -- I don't have
Evolution installed anywhere.

Malcolm