Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 15:10, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 09:24, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Reasonable, though (and I should be corrected if wrong) there are no
> > > i18n or a11y issues with xine, and we already know it's extensively
> > > portable.[1] So while in the general case I agree strongly with all of
> >
> > The accessibility ones are probably interesting.
>
> Bill H. and others have been discussing this briefly on the
> gnome-multimedia list:
>
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-multimedia/2002-September/msg00124.html
>
> IMHO, it would be very nice to have SMIL support, but I really don't
> think we should block able-bodied users from using all of the formats
> that /are/ supported just because none of the libraries available to us
> available libraries support SMIL.

I agree that we shouldn't abandon available formats just because they
aren't accessible; eventually supporting SMIL would allow us to use
those other formats in a more accessible manner, by synchronizing them
with descriptive audio, captions, etc.  I don't think we're suggesting
that our desire to support desktop accessibility precludes us from
rendering non-captioned content!

But as I said SMIL is a meta-format, in order to view SMIL you need to
be able to handle the encapsulated/references formats, which would
include the formats that I think are under discussion.

The IP issues with some of the formats are a big problem for us however,
since most SMIL uses one of more of them.  But if we make it possible to
create accessible content using entirely open formats (which I think we
have the means to do) then we'd be providing a great service.

-Bill