Re: desktop-devel-list digest, Vol 1 #666 - 7 msgs

Paolo wrote:

> Hi Martin, Radek,
>
> I'm working on a spell checker solution for gedit
> (http://www.gnome.org/~paolo/screenshots/spell-checker.png) to be
> included in the GNOME 2.2 releases.
>
> Speaking on IRC with the GNOME release team, they suggested me to
> contact you in order to try to join our efforts and propose a generic
> spell checking solution for GNOME (to be included in libegg).
> According to them (and me), it should be a gtk+/glib/gobject only
> solution.

I wish I had known about this effort... since I believe I have a much
more powerful solution.  It is not gtk+-glib-only, however; but it can
be run with any pre-existing GNOME-2 application that has editable text
fields...

It does not require plugin technology or any explicity collaboration
from the application whose data is being spellchecked, but relies on the
accessibility APIs instead.

Even if you feel that the checker must be gtk+-only (without GNOME
libraries), why not use ATK to obtain and manipulate the text?

-Bill