Re: "Helen Keller Achievement Award" credits GNOME Accessibility

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 06:44:11PM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I am delighted to relay the news that the "GNOME Accessibility
> Architecture" has been singled out in this year's "Helen Keller
> Achievement Award in Technology", one of the annual "Helen Keller
> Awards" presented by the American Foundation for the Blind.

That is really good news. Congratulations to all involved. :-)

[...]
> In particular we would like to thank the engineers in Ximian,  RedHat,
> CodeFactory, BAUM, the University of Toronto, the Mozilla project, and
> the many individuals on the Release Team and Foundation who have
> supported our work; the intrepid individuals who have put both time and
> system-stability on the line to test and develop on an evolving
> platform; the members of kde-accessibility, Free Desktop Accessibility
> Working Group (fdawg), and mozilla-accessibility mailing lists, and many
> individuals and organizations involved in assistive technology
> development.

Since you can't thank yourself, I'll do it. Bill, the visibility you and
others in your team have on the various GNOME lists has had quite an
effect over the last year or so. I cannot write a piece of software now
without wondering how accessible it will be (although usually it's along
the lines of "f #$% Bill won't be happy with that effort").

It's possibly been frustrating at time, since most of us able-bodied,
fully-sighted types are able to push accessibility to the bottom of the
priority list and live with it. Thankyou for continuing to be in our
face about it. It's at least had an effect on me.

Cheers,
Malcolm