Re: nautilus remote (non)performance ...

Hi Alex,

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 10:23, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> * To not have to use our own font system in the client side case, with all
>   the problems it gives (including loading/caching/rendering fonts
>    twice, and potentially getting different sets of fonts.).

	Yes - that sucked.

> * To be able to use hardware accelerated composition and font rendering on
>   videocards where this is supported.

	Ok - so the problem appears to be that we're not doing hardware
accelerated compositing.

> Somewhere along the way we lost the aa rendering pref. I guess we should
> add that back to avoid drawing icons with AA on systems that are remote
> and not supporting render.

	Yes; it'd make a nice win;

> > 	Indeed; by accurate measuring (with sticky tape) I see that rendering 8
> > icons takes ~130ms:
>
> It does indeed sound a bit excessive. What exact setup were you using?

	I'm using an up to date RH 7.3, with XFree86-4.2.0-8, the xdpyinfo
claims I have the RENDER extension:

	RENDER version 0.2 opcode: 152, base error: 178

	I'm using gtk+ HEAD; I'll have a little dig further down - clearly this
should be using render for gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable_alpha,

	Hmm,

		Michael.