Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

[reduced the cc: list - they read the lists anyways]

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some questions/remarks from my point of view ...

[snip]

> > 	* There are quite a few packages in the platform that aren't
> > really specific to GNOME. Should they have to conform to these rules.
> > If not, where do we draw the line of modules that should and modules
> > that shouldn't. Could we have a compromise set of rules for these
> > modules. E.g. that they tag the module after every release.
>
> I'd like to know what these rules would mean for fifth-toe stuff.  From
> the POV of GStreamer, it will be some time before we go 1.0 at all.
> Jumping to 2.0 just because we're going to be used by GNOME is a bit silly
> to us.

There is no problem with 5th toe versioning - the GEP explicitly talks
about the versioning of 'GNOME platform modules' and thus the versioning
of desktop and 5th toe modules is not affected by the contents of the GEP.

But ultimately this is not just a 5th toe problem - forcing all modules to
always have the same major.minor version will cause arbitrary and
unwarranted jumps in version numbering. There is no way to rule out that
say gnome 2.8 (or 3 or 5 or ...) would not contain components that are
essentialy having their 1.0 realease at the time of the gnome release
(components that don't reach at least 1.0 equvalent by the gnome release
should not be included on grounds of not being ready) and bumping the
version number to be the same as gnome release would be entirely bogus.

The hardwired X.Y in platform modules == GNOME X.Y should be dropped or
will result in a pretty useless GEP - it is too much anchored in its view
in the present day and old long-standing gnome modules.

> Thomas
>
> --
>
> The Dave/Dina Project : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
> <-*-                      -*->
> Is there a voice unkind
> in the back of your mind
> saying "maybe you didn't know him at all"
> <-*- thomas apestaart org -*->
> URGent, the best radio on the Internet - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/

	Sander

	This is the place where all