Re: Queries about release specifications [Was: who gets in and why]

On 29Aug2002 10:01PM (+1000), Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Yeah, I think that open planning stuff went by the wayside as we leapt onto
> the bucking bronco that was GNOME 2. Not entirely sure whether the full GEP
> process is required to bring in more community scrutiny on this stuff, but
> it's certainly something that the release team needs to facilitate.

One big difference between apps and platform libraries is that it's a
lot easier to drop an app from a future release if it turns out to
suck than to drop a platform library, given GNOME's compatibility
guarantees.

So while it's better to have a more open decision-making process,
using something like the GEP seems like overkill.

 - Maciej