Re: GEP-2 Theme Sets (aka Metathemer)

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 08:43, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 07:41, Dave Bordoley wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how the UI would work, but there has to be some solution,
> even if it's just 'and change the themes for app X to the theme for app
> X with the same name'. [In other words, 'if OOo has a BlueCurve theme,
> use it, otherwise, use defaults.'] At _least_ that level of
> functionality should be possible.

Louie we're saying the same thing :) And to expand on your point, in the
event that the user chooses the "controls theme" in their themeset for
which an OO.o equivalent does not exists, xsettings provides a method of
passing color information to an app so that it will at least be somewhat
consistent with the overall desktop look.

> >  However I think it's worth noting that if moz gtk2
> > supports native gtk widgets under gnome2, than we should probably not
> > encourage the use of moz themes at all.
>
> (1) Galeon is the solution here ;)

yes it is, and galeon2 is really really nice.

> (2) Mozilla's idea of native widgets is... pathetic at best, and still
> involves a lot of 'doesn't look at all like gtk' stuff.

Yeah I wasn't sure how well they were supported, on windows native
widget support is pretty nice.

> (3) By continuing to focus on mozilla, you're completely missing the
> point- OOo is arguably just as important as mozilla, and Future
> Application Y that you're ignoring might be even more important than
> both of them. [Say, WINE?]

I suspect that theming wine apps will probably be difficult, but we can
always pass color information via xsettings to make them at least fit in
with the desktop.

I really think we're on the same page here louie.

dave