Re: setting GDK_USE_XFT=1 loses truetype fonts :(

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:58:14AM -0700, Alan wrote:
> I've been fighting with fonts in gnome for ages, and I think I finally
> have it figured out.  Now I just have to figure out *why*.
>
> The short of it is that as soon as I set GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my .xinitrc a
> bunch of my truetype fonts dissapear.  Unset, they are all there, and
> available in (for example) the preferences->font dialogue.

As a bit of a followup, I decided to simply put all my fonts (some 6100
of them) in my /usr/lib/X11/fonts/truetype folder (which I know is being
read), and remake the fonts.* files with 'ttmkfdir -c -o fonts.scale &&
mkfontdir', then restart X via GDM with GDK_USE_XFT set.

Now I have *one* of the fonts that I know is missing, sf grunge sans.
Sadly, the "augie" font (seen in the screenshot on the smashing new
art.gnome.org site) is nowhere to be found, when GDK_USE_XFT is set :(

Closer, but not making any more sense!

alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan ufies org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I