Re: Notification Area and applets

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 16:05, Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:
> Hi Sean
>
> So, once this discussion is already here, I can ask a question regarding
> people's idea about XKB indicator (the applet from GSwitchIt toolkit).
>
> 1. First of all, it is an applet. What is the better choice - to leave
> it as an applet or make a docklet?
>
> 2. On single left click the applet switches the group to the next one.
> Is this coherent to HIG or should it be double-click (or something
> else)?

Well, as I said in my other mail, it's a bit annoying when you have 10
icons on your panel, and they all react differently to being clicked.
I'm not familiar with GSwitchIt, but if it does as I understand, would
perhaps popping up a window with a list of choices be better?  Or overly
complicated...?

Also, is it HIG compliant to have a window close on selecting a button?
I.e., click the icon (be it applet or status dock), have a window with
the flags pop up, click a flag, have the option take effect and the
window close?

> 3. Since the applet's properties dialog is a standalone application, I
> put its icon in Preferences::Extra vfolder. Am I wrong?
>
> Since this mailing list is a kind of HIG expertise group, I would be
> really interested in hearing the people's opinion on this...
>
> Cheers,
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.