Slow compilation

Hi folks,
I'm having a strange problem compiling Gnome 2 beta 5. It simply crawls
to compile!
Well,the problem is actually on the linking, I guess. The gcc comands go
normally, but then come some lines like ../libtool mode=link and a bunch
of other stuff (the .o it is trying to link toogether) and it takes
aproximately 15 minute (really) to link each binary. The resulting
binarys work, and have no noticeable slowness themselves, but I just
cant finish compiling gnome becouse it takes so long.
Im on an Athlon 800, running Slack 8, and gnome 1.4 is also installed.
Anyone has a clue?

Thanks in advance,
Paulo Schreiner