Re: Minutes of Gnome 2 release team meeting (late): 2002-05-17

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 06:00:25PM +0100, hobbit aloss ukuu org uk wrote:
> Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2002/05/17
[...]
>     * Window managers
>
>     Sawfish is the window manager on the GNOME 2 modules list on
>     dotplan. Metacity is not on that list. It's likely that metacity
>     will appear with/for GNOME 2 as a preview release, for those people
>     who want to play with it, but Sawfish is the official one for GNOME
>     2.0.0.

Can somebody please clarify what this means?

In the past, I know that the Docs team chose a window manager and a
theme to use for screenshots so that everything looked consistent.
However, I thought the idea was that anything complying with a
particular window manager spec was meant to work. However, I'm a bit
unclear as to what being the "official" window manager means, if
anything, beyond the fact that it will be shipped by default by some
groups (although, for example, Sun seem to have indicated they won't
be).

Malcolm