General failure in Gnome 2.0

1) I've installed apparently all of the Gnome 2.0 programs from RPM
packages (on rpmfind.net), and never got any messages about unresolved
dependencies. However, virtually none of the Gnome 2 programs will load
on my system. If I open an xterm and type in "gedit" or "nautilus" or
"gnome-control-center", nothing at all happens, the xterm just hangs as
if the program has opened. There isn't a single error message, but the
program doesn't appear on my screen. That this is happening with pretty
much all of the Gnome 2 programs, I suppose I must be missing some core
library which is necessary for Gnome 2 to function. Anyone have an idea
what that might be?

2) When I try to load gnome-panel, I get the response "Warning:
auto_raise_panel not handled" and of course the panel isn't visible. Is
there a way to repair this? I believe I read that this is a problem for
those with non-Gnome-compliant window managers, but I use either Sawfish
or IceWM, both supposedly Gnome-compliant, and gnome-panel still doesn't
work. What to do?

I hope someone can shed some light on this two issues. I'm not too
skilled with debuggin, and would usually just wait until the final
version comes out, but I'm spending the summer in Eastern Europe, where
high-speed connections are not easy to find, and hoped to have a working
setup of Gnome 2 before I leave.

Sincerely,

Christopher Culver <christopher_culver yahoo com>